Ballymun Community Law Centre was established in 2002 and focuses on areas of unmet legal need in Ballymun providing legal advice, representation, education and Alternative Dispute Resolution services to the community. The team aims to empower individuals to achieve equality and realise their human rights through increased access to the law.
The Community Solicitor will have overall professional responsibility for the running of legal services and day to day operations. They will provide advice and information to clients on a wide range of legal issues including housing, employment, social welfare and equality matters. In addition to legal casework, they will deliver outreach clinics and information talks and attend community events.
The successful candidate will report to the Manager of the Law Centre while working in accordance with the provisions of S.I. No. 103/2006 - The Solicitors Acts, 1954 to 2002 (Independent Law Centres) Regulations, 2006. They will have overall professional responsibility for the running of the legal services and its day to day operations while ensuring delivery in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements and best practice.
- Provide legal advice and information on a range of areas to individuals and community groups.
- Deliver drop-in legal outreach clinics in the community.
- Manage a caseload of legal representative casework.
- Deliver legal talks and educational courses as required.
- Oversee the provision of legal services in the Law Centre to ensure that services are delivered competently and in a professional manner, and in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Develop and maintain relationships with counsel offering their time pro bono.
- Supervise the work of the legal support staff, interns, or volunteers as necessary.
- Support and develop the legal team in line with the ethos of BCLC.
- Oversee the legal case management system.
- Ensure that legal and other professional obligations of the Law Centre (e.g., insurance, Law Society reporting) are fulfilled.
- Work as part of a team to ensure that high standards are developed and maintained in office policies, procedures and case management and ensure that services are delivered in a way that meets the needs of clients.
- Collaborate with management and the board to develop and implement strategies for achieving the Law Centre’s vision.
- Actively manage relationships with key stakeholders and such other tasks or duties necessary to assist in the carrying out of the work of the Law Centre as directed by the Manager or Board of BCLC.
- An appropriate third level qualification (to at least Level 8) in a relevant discipline.
- A professional qualification as a solicitor with minimum two years' post qualification experience in an Irish context.
- Experience of handling a variety of legal and policy matters.
- Experience advocating before quasi-judicial fora, e.g. WRC, RTB, etc. and/or the District Court.
- A demonstrable interest in or commitment to helping those who are disadvantaged and using law to advocate on their behalf.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to command the confidence of funders, donors and other stakeholders.
- A professional attitude with the ability to work under pressure and to act on one’s own initiative.
- Experience in the area of human rights law.
- Experience working within the not for profit/community/voluntary sector.
- Knowledge of legal issues affecting those in socio-economically disadvantaged communities and specifically the issues affecting Ballymun.
- Experience using legal case management software.
- Driver’s licence and own vehicle.
Terms and conditions:
- Salary: €65k per annum
- Hours of work: 35 hours per week, Mon- Fri 9am – 5pm.
- Consideration will be given to candidates who wish to propose a shorter working week arrangement. Some flexibility required on occasion for community talks, lectures etc. that occur in the evening.
- Location: Ballymun.
- Probationary period: Six months.
- Annual leave: 25 days annual leave, plus time off at Christmas.
If you wish to apply for this role please email a CV and cover letter to: [email protected]